Calcaneal Squeeze test is used to determine calcaneal injuries such as stress fracture.
Patient must be awake and cooperative in a Calcaneal Squeeze test.
- Patient prone with knee flexed at 90 degrees.
- Examiner then squeezes the calcaneus in three locations: Sides of calcaneus, calcaneal tuberosity (posterior calcaneus), and the medical calcaneal tubercle.
- Examiner then observes patient for signs of pain and discomfort.
Calcaneal squeeze test is used to evaluate calcaneal injuries like stress fracture.
Positive Calcaneal Squeeze Test
There are three interpretation for a positive Calcaneal squeeze test.
If there is pain while squeezing in
- Sides of calcaneus: Calcaneal fracture
- Calcaneal tuberosity: Retrocarcaneal bursitis, fracture
- Medical calcaneal tubercle: Plantar Fasciitis
This quick test is an excellent way to get a huge amount of information in the short period of time. If a positive result is expected or seen, have an immediate follow-up procedure for diagnostic imaging.