Bounce Home test is an orthopaedic test of the knee joint that assesses the integrity of the meniscus.
- Patient supine
- Examiner lifts straight leg and bends knee to approximately 20° by placing a hand behind the popliteal fossa
- Examiner then proceeds to remove support from the posterior knee allowing it to drop into full extension (bounce home).
Positive Bounce Home Test
- Joint line pain: Meniscal tear.
- Inability to fully extend knee:
- Spongy end-feel: Swelling/edema
- Rubbery end-feel / pain: Meniscal tear
- Hard end-feel: intra-articular fragment (“joint mice”), osteochondritis dissecans
Examiner should not fully remove hand from popliteal fossa, instead the examiner should simply stop supporting knee and be ready to catch the knee if signs of severe pain are noted.